September 20, 2019 - 12:39 PM


I never used to read verses around a specific verse. Context basically. I’ve known the verse Philippians 4:8 since I was a teenager. An adult I talked with openly and honestly gave me a piece of paper with the verse on it in fancy lettering to encourage me. So I was thinking about this verse a few days ago, and I decided to read the verse before it and after it. And wow! Philippians 4:7 is brilliant. Here is what it says in ESV.


Philippians 4:6-8

“[6] do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. [7] And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [8] Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”


I’ve been on a wait list for group therapy for about a year. It is supposed to be very helpful but also very intense. Lots of homework, working through intense emotions. So for the last month I’ve been asking everyone I know that prays to pray for me. I’ve been really stressed about it, hence the prayer (isn’t it great that our God has power!).

These last few days before therapy started I’ve felt alright. “And the peace of God” - “which surpassed all understanding” - “will guard your hearts and your minds if Christ Jesus” Before that of course in verse 6 it says to pray to God, our problems, our worries, bring them to him in prayer AND he will give us the “peace of God” - “which surpasses all understanding” - I love that word surpasses, which is in the ESV. God knows. He is above all understanding, he knows everything and his peace, the peace he gives us is perfect - he knows.

God gave me peace. I was still anxious of course, getting up on time, not getting stuck behind a train on the way to therapy. But the anxiety was minimal. Verse 8, think about good stuff is an excellent verse. Encouragement, instruction. Verse 7 has just been - wow - a perfect verse for current circumstances. 

There is so much in the Bible that feels disconnected. It is odd, it doesn’t relate, sometimes if feels like reading a phone book, it is dry and empty. But then sometimes it just speaks into you, truth. Bring your anxieties to God - pray to him - because he has POWER. He is love, he is good. He knows better than us. Praying to him is an act of worship - I pray to him because I know he has power, I acknowledge him. I think I am repeating myself, but, I know the God of power and love and goodness. That is why I pray to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 30, 2019 - 8:56 PM

November 04, 2019 - 9:22 PM

October 17, 2019 - 8:27 PM